The vision of the Network is to achieve an Ocean Literate society across the island of Ireland. An Ocean Literate society is described as being one in which citizens understand the ocean’s influence on them, and their influence on the ocean.
“An ocean literate citizen…. understands the importance of the ocean to humankind…can communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way and….is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources.” – H2020 SeaChange project
The mission of the Network is to create, maintain and develop an informal network of ocean literacy champions to facilitate collaboration, sharing and coordination of marine outreach and ocean literacy projects across the island of Ireland.
The goals of the Network are:
- To create a sustainable network of ocean literacy champions on the island of Ireland
- To facilitate collaboration, sharing and coordination of marine outreach and ocean literacy projects on the island of Ireland
- To maintain a facilitator who will act as a central contact and dissemination point for the network
- To generate ideas to support initiatives and collaboration opportunities between network members
- To support and grow the membership of the network by creating a vibrant and active network of new members
- To provide a platform for engagement with relevant stakeholders