Working towards an Ocean Literate Society
As the Secretariat made its way to the Environmental Research Unit in National University of Ireland Cork, we were thinking about how far the IOLN has come since its inception. This network of ocean advocates has received great support from its Steering Group over the last year and we could not grow this ocean family without their support.
The IOLN members are our greatest asset though, during the meeting we discussed a number of ideas on how to connect with members and give them a platform to reach new audiences.
THE IOLN COLLABORATION FORM
All of our members have the opportunity to connect using the IOLN Collaboration Form, which can be circulated to the wider network once completed by an IOLN member.
The Value of Membership
What is the value of joining the IOLN? During the meeting we discussed the value of membership, including;
- To create a sustainable network of ocean literacy champions on the island of Ireland
- To facilitate collaboration, sharing and coordination of marine outreach and ocean literacy projects on the island of Ireland
- To generate ideas to support initiatives and collaboration opportunities between network members
- To support and grow the membership of the network by creating a vibrant and active network of members
- To provide a platform for engagement with relevant stakeholders
The Future of IOLN
The Steering Group and Secretariat of the IOLN are very proud and passionate about the future for the network. The importance of Ireland having an informed ocean literate public cannot be over stated. Please join us by sharing your stories and pictures with us and together we can grow. #WeAreIslanders
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.Margaret Meade